Transfer Cases

Transfer Case Services

Harford County Transmission Services

What are transfer cases? A transfer case is a part of a four wheel drive system found in 4WD and all-wheel drive vehicles. The transfer case connects the transmission to the front and rear axles by drive shafts, and transfers power to the front or rear axle, or both. The expert auto technicians at Harford County Transmissions have experience in transfer case repair issues involving a shifter, electronic switch or locked transfer cases.

Transfer Case Maintenance and Repair

We care for all of your transfer case maintenance and repair issues including:

  • Gear driven transfer cases
  • Chain driven transfer cases
  • “Married” transfer cases
  • Independent/”divorced” transfer cases
  • MSOF
  • ESOF
  • Transfer case fluid drain and change
  • Transfer case parts replacement
  • Transfer case rebuild

Transfer Case Repair

Your owner’s manual may not have a recommended schedule for when you should change your transfer case fluid, so ask the auto technicians at Harford County Transmissions. At a minimum, transfer case fluid should be checked every time you get an oil change. There are several things that affect how often you should change the fluid, so tell us how much you use 4-wheel drive, if you drive in wet environments like crossing streams or through mud and snow. Those kinds of things shorten the fluid change interval.

Signs You May Need Transfer Case Maintenance

Some common signs you may need transfer case repair or maintenance:

  • Strange noises occurring when shifting gears or when driving at certain speeds
  • Unusual noises coming from the front of your car in colder weather (Can mean you need more lubrication).
  • Trouble shifting gears or your 4×4 kicks out of gear at random while in motion.

Schedule a Transfer Case Service Appointment

Call us or contact us for a transfer case repair or maintenance appointment. You can count on us for honest and reliable completion of transfer case repairs, and all our work is guaranteed.


(410) 420-6500

Serving Harford County Since 2001